Dear Reader …3Jan 06
The first cine artist invited, was Kishore Kumar ! Earlier all the stars that gave interviews, never answered in a question-answer format. If they answered, it was only on a specific topic like Health/Problems/etc. But never ever in a “general” interaction with the readers ( would like to be corrected ).
Kishore was already a topmost selling artist in the tinsel town. The most wanted man ! Who else could a media powerhouse like Filmare, invite !! A person with a witty mind that had no bounds.
Some of the points that he made were very interesting. Some outright funny. Some of them were too much stuffed with human psychology. Some of them make us think and “possibly” give us those missing links in his personal and professional life.
Come , let us enjoy this issue. Let us ask imaginary questions ! One non-serious/silly/naughty imagination – is Sonia actually Madhubala ? .
Dear Reader …3 ( 1st Aug 1958 )
For the third time KISHORE KUMAR replies to readers’ questions. Nutan takes over next fortnight.
Amalendu Dhar, Patna
NOW that you have completed “Lookuchuri,” are you going to make more Bengali pictures? Why don’t you act in Bengali Films?
* Making Bengali pictures depends on the fate of “Lookuchuri” at the box-office. As for acting, I’d rather please my many fans who want me in Hindi films.
Satish Chandra Saxena, Mahoba.
WHY don’t film stars reply to fans when their popularity depends on them?
* They do reply. Perhaps your letters have gone astray.
Aminur Rahman, Jorhat.
BY whom was Meena Kumari discovered?
* Her talent.
K. T. Balakrishnan, Tellichery.
IN which of the two films, “Bandi” and “Ragini”, do you think you acted better?
* In “Bandi”
B. B. Nanawane, Wai.
HAVE you visited any foreign country?
* I am sometimes overcome by the feeling of being a foreigner in my own country.
WHAT are the heights of Dev Anand, Sunil Dutt and Raj Kapoor?
* I know only of their screen stature.
Kailash Raj, Muzaffar Nagri.
WHY didn’t Balraj Sahni not write his “Unforgettable Moments” in “Filmfare”?
* Probably because there were too many to fit within the narrow confines of a few pages.
K. K. Purnamal, Bombay.
WHY is the humour in Hindi films of so low quality?
* Humour? There is no humour in Hindi films, only slapstick.
S. K. Potnis, Dharwar.
WHO is the highest paid music director in Hindi films?
* Certainly not one of those who behave as if they are.
K. M. Gurung, Alhilal.
WHO is the better actor – Raj Kapoor or Dilip Kumar?
* Don’t trust an actors opinion about other actors.
C. P. Abdul Gafoor, Kozhikode.
WHAT is Kishore Kumar doing these days?
* I’m doing a lot of things – mainly, working in a number of films.
Nalini Shukal, New Delhi.
I FIND that film stars have changed their attitude towards their fans are not friendly towards them. Why? Don’t they like their fans?
* Ofcourse they like their fans. Only they don’t like being pestered by them.
IS it true that Nargis is retiring from films?
* I don’t think she has made any statement to that effect.
Din Dayal, Parashar, Agra.
WHEN will “Mughal E Azam” be completed?
* Probably K. Asif himself would like to know that.
BESIDES Dilip Kumar and Pradeep Kumar, which other actor has beautiful eyes?
* What about mine?
Mrs. Bhargawe, Nasik.
WHAT are your educational qualifications?
* I narrowly missed being a graduate in Arts, but don’t you think that to all intents and purposes I am one?
WHICH do you prefer- playback singing or acting?
* Both financially and artistically I like them to supplement each other.
DON’T you think you should cover a wider range of characterisations in acting as your brother, Ashok Kumar, does?
* I have made it a point to do so whenever opportunity offers itself, for instance in “Bhai Bhai”, “Bandi” and recently, in “Raagini”.
Rex Conway, Raichur.
WHAT is the difference between a dancer and an actress.
* All actresses are not dancers, and “vice versa”
M. Y. Nissar Ahmed Sheriff, Mysore.
WHAT are your relations with Asit Baran?
* We say “Hello” to each other when we happen to meet.
Omkar Lall Sresta, Kathmandu.
WHY don’t Indian producers seek new actors and actresses instead of casting the same old ones again and again?
* Because millions of cinemagoers patronise films starring “the same old ones”, as you call them.
WHY aren’t Nepalese men and women allowed to come to Hindi Screen as actors and actresses?
* The film industry is open to all – but they must make the grade.
M. Shafi, Broach.
WHO are the most religious-minded actors and actress in Hindi films?
* Those who can say: “My prayers have been answered”.
WHO among the Indian actors smoke Russian cigarettes?
* Those who bring back a stock from that country.
WHO among the stars own a Rolls Royce?
* The only one I know is my brother, Ashok Kumar.
Santosh Kumar, Berhampur.
IS it a fact that Dilip Kumar, Raj Kapoor, Dev Anand and you imitate Charles Boyer, Charlie Chaplin, Gregory Peck and Danny Kaye respectively?
* You are being unkind! Besides, do you believe any one of us has seen their films?
Raman K. Sehgal, Amritsar.
WHEN will rock ‘n’ roll die out of Indian films and when will we return to the beautiful old “ghazals” and classical tunes?
* When the public tires of rock ‘n’ roll, something else, not necessarily better, is bound to replace it.
Vijay Kumar, Calcutta.
ARE film stars the gods and goddesses of today?
* They seem to be, considering the way their devotees queue up to get admission into the “temples” where they can be seen.
Miss Saroj Pathak, Bareilly.
ARE you happy and gay in real life as you appear to be on the screen? If so, what is the secret of your happiness?
* Don’t you know that appearances are deceptive? In my case, too , they are deceptive, but lucrative.
Pramodh Kumar, Mangalore.
WHY do you look so tender while acting tragic and pathetic scenes? Is it deliberate or accidental?
* All art consists in making the deliberate appear accidental.
Bedhraj Sahni, Jullunder City.
WHO is the elder, you or Anoop Kumar?
* In order of birth, Anoop comes after Ashok, and I come after Anoop
K. M. Thakrar, Calicut.
IF Ashok’s hobby is “being elder brother to you”, what is your hobby?
* Humouring him in this attitude.
G. D. Methi, Nagpur.
WHAT do you and your brother Ashok Kumar, do with the vast amount of money you two earn?
* After allowing Income Tax to take away most of it, I suppose we do much the same with what is left as others do.
Gopal Krishna, Jabalpur.
I THINK movies these days are spoiling the character of students. What is your opinion?
* In that case, the character of the students of today must be much weaker than that of students of my time, because movies didn’t spoil us.
Gopal Radhakrishnan, Trivandrum.
WHAT is your height? Don’t feel shy. I really want to know.
* No, I am not shy! But I am tall enough to hold my own in this highly competitive world.